How Empaths Can Avoid Compassion Fatigue


Being an empath can be a slippery slope. You don't really acknowledge the complications that come with it unless you experience them yourself, which usually means you've reached your limit or gone way beyond it. If you're a highly empathetic person, then you tend to understand on a deep level what other people are going through. When putting it this way, it doesn't seem like it can be an issue. Emotional empathy is beautiful and allows us to truly be there for each other. It allows us to connect; we naturally want these kinds of connections because it makes us feel understood and, most of all, loved. It's something that we need more of in today's society for sure. I believe that with all my heart. However, the phrase "too much of a good thing" applies here perfectly. There is a dark side to having too much empathy and it's a feeling that I know all too well; I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! It's referred to as compassion fatigue.

Let's just make sure first that you get the difference between sympathy and empathy, two words that are mistakenly used together regularly. When I sympathize with someone, I care about them and what they're going through. I understand it, but it wouldn't hinder my own emotions. I am able to separate what I'm feeling as opposed to what that person is feeling. Empathy, on the other hand, goes a lot deeper on an emotional level. When I empathize with someone, I can physically feel what they feel like I'm the one experiencing all their emotions—the feel-good ones and especially the dark and painful ones. 

When I'm in that state, my mind starts racing. I get overwhelmed with emotions and I try to think of anything to do or say to make that person feel a little bit better, no matter the cost. Compassion fatigue or burnout comes knocking when your tank is empty. You have nothing more to give. We give and never realize that there's a finish line. The intriguing thing is that most empaths keep giving way beyond that line, not fully aware of the consequences. We feel the symptoms of compassion fatigue and don't even realize it because we act like our only duty is to take care of others. Nothing is wrong with caring for others but we don't give ourselves the same privilege, not even close. The result is that we become less empathetic. Ironic, right? Using up your empathetic limits makes you less inclined to feel empathy. Instead, you feel numbness or apathy and it can even turn to a lot of anger that is fueled with depression—not a good thing for you or the people around you. 

Now that I've gotten past the bad news, I should tell you the good part! Knowing this information will make you aware and less inclined to fall into unwanted patterns. The fact that you now know there is something called compassion fatigue will help you avoid it. It always goes back to taking care of yourself. Make yourself a priority in your own life. It's that simple. The idea is that you're naturally acting like everybody's counselor and it's in your nature, so what about you? You have empathetic superpowers, yes, but you should open up about your own feelings, emotions, and issues. Talk to your friends and family. Make room for what makes you happy and what refuels your energy so that you're ready to truly help them in return in a healthy way. Talk to a professional if that's what you need to get back on track, just don't ignore the problem and bottle things up, trust me.

Are you an intuitive empath? Now that you understand more about your empathy and how to avoid compassion fatigue, you should check out these 4 Reasons Why Intuitive Minds Are Misunderstood. It's an eye-opener! 

To know your personality type, here's a free online personality test!

By: Amal Ghali

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Introverts Deal with Interpersonal Conflict

MBTI: Know the Difference Between Judging and Perceiving

Personality Tests: To Be or Not to Be